Tuesday, September 25, 2007

What's a podcast?

I love podcasts. I think lots more people would love them too, if only people knew what they are. I have talked to many friends about my love of this medium, only to have them stare at me blankly. "What's a podcast?"

In simple terms, a podcast (notice the word is derived from the word broadcast) is like radio for your computer or handheld device (I-Pod, cell phone). Now you might ask yourself, "Why do I need radio for my computer when I have radio in my radio??" Ha ha. The cool thing about podcasting is that anyone can make a podcast, and so they are available on every imaginable topic. There are some podcasts that play music like your traditional FM radio stations, but most podcasts are more closely related to talk radio, and the beauty of podcasts is that they are available on topics that would never fly on advertising-driven radio where ratings are king.

There are podcasts for scrapbookers, teachers, Christians, readers, techies, knitters, fans of popular TV shows (and probably some unpopular ones, too), those that love humor or the news or politics. There are podcasts that offer advice, podcasts that teach (learning a language is a popular podcast topic), and podcasts that simply entertain. There are even video podcasts that show topics like yoga instruction or directions for crafting.

Many actual radio programs are also now available as podcasts, so if there is a favorite radio program you'd love to keep up with but either isn't available in your area, or isn't on at a convenient time for you, you can download the episodes and listen at your leisure.

The best thing about podcasts is that they are FREE! You can find them on the Web, on I-Tunes, or oftentimes, on the home page of the particular podcast (or radio show) that interests you.

Next up: A list of some of my favorite podcasts.

0 comments: