Thursday, July 12, 2007

Hilton Head Island






The last time we went to the beach was when my friend Annie got married in 2004. I have always felt a close connection to the ocean, and I was really missing it, so shortly before Jack was born, I started pestering Mike for a beach trip. He surprised me by planning a trip to Hilton Head Island (our first) June 30-July 4. We doubled our fun by inviting Karynne, Nikki, and Mike. Karynne is our six year old niece. We had an awesome time, even though the weather didn't totally cooperate.

We went on a dolphin cruise which resulted in an amusing story. We expected to be on a large, covered boat, but got there to find out that they were taking out the smaller boat that day instead. What's worse is that we ended up in the stern (rear) of the boat, in full sun (with a two month old!). Needless to say we weren't too happy about that. I was really worried about Jack. Then as we were leaving the dock we notice these huge storm clouds coming in. We went all over the place and the captain was pointing out all sorts of resorts and fancy homes, but no dolphins anywhere. It was hot and miserable, and then it became more overcast and even drizzled a bit. Finally after probably 45 minutes to an hour of nothing, we find the dolphins! It was thrilling! We saw them flirting with some boaters, begging for food and following in their wake. I was snapping pics like crazy. The boat trip was redeemed. Well as we've debarked and are on our way back to the parking lot, Maggie and I have the following conversation.

Me: Did you enjoy the boat ride, Maggie?
Maggie: Yeah.
Me: Did you enjoy seeing the dolphins?
Maggie: [noncommittally] Yeah.
Me: You did see the dolphins, right?
Maggie: No.
Me: All those times, you never saw the dolphins once??
Maggie: I don't even know what a dolphin looks like!

Oh well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um - you know we've still got beaches down here in Fla. and you can come visit ANYTIME.... Seriously, we should have a "Creswell in the Swells" kind of thing - you, me, Suz, Caryn, Bron, (and our boys and babes) all hanging at a beach house or something. Either way - I like the blog, keep me posted!

Unknown said...

Yeah, I know Annie! We were looking for a short road trip kind of thing. We will have to make Florida our next stop, whenever that may be! :o)